Wonderful people wander into our lives. Some stay for years and some only for seconds. Each day you experience a multitude of moments that make their imprint on your life. Like a flitting dragonfly, skimming so close to the water, we traverse through our routines each day. We pay no notice to the beauty of chance instants…the instants that make us exhale, make us smile, give us joy for a brief twinkling.

Today I begin to share my moments with you. Today I promise to savor my moments.



Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Vain & Wrinkled

Wrinkles. I really have them. Wrinkles and the same dark circles under my eyes that my grandmother had. Recently I learned that my grandmother had a surgical eyelid lift at one point. Wow, that was cosmetic surgery over 30 years ago.

Today I was going through pictures of myself and I noticed that I kept focusing in on my eyes. My eyes used to be my vanity and apparently my vanity now feels old and wounded. That sounds weird, I know, but when I worked in very public jobs and was dating I always received remarks and compliments about my eyes. I did a smidgeon of modeling and I was always described as "the one with the big almond eyes."

These days those almond eyes have corner creases, which I don't mind. I embrace them under the term "laugh lines" and thank God that I have laughed so much. The drop of my upper eyelids, though, has me saying, "Right on, Grammy," she knew what she was doing! I think what truly makes me feel old are the under eye circles. I think they pull me down in more ways than just physically.

So now what? Do I start making the rounds of all the high end cosmetic counters searching for the miracle solution? Or blow my budget on high priced "new" products shown in Vogue and Vanity Fair? Do I start researching possible cosmetic surgical procedures? Do I accept Nature gracefully and live with it? I don't want to do any of these things!

If there were a miracle product, every woman I know would rave about it, use it and stockpile it. Why are new products always so overpriced? Will we actually pony-up and buy it if it's more expensive because the high price must make it better? Needles of bacteria that paralyze my face just scare the bejeebies out of me. I don't usually accept anything quietly, so why aging?

Just writing this makes me feel vain. I'm not hungry. I'm not terminally ill. I have a home. I have a job. There are people who love me. I've got it really bad off, huh? My life is so terrible? Nope. This is where I say, ok God, you made your point. I'm aging and that's ok. Maybe I'm not aging so gracefully, but I can age with gratitude. If under-eye circles (I refuse to call them bags, by the way) are the worst thing I have to lament, bring them on!

So, I will make friends, once again, with the camera that I have avoided for years now. I will join family photos. I will see only my shining eyes and focus on my laugh lines.

Vanity, though, will send me out searching for an industrial concealer....that makes me wonder if Killz or Sherwin Williams could come up with a workable solution for me?

Peace & Concealer, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment