Wonderful people wander into our lives. Some stay for years and some only for seconds. Each day you experience a multitude of moments that make their imprint on your life. Like a flitting dragonfly, skimming so close to the water, we traverse through our routines each day. We pay no notice to the beauty of chance instants…the instants that make us exhale, make us smile, give us joy for a brief twinkling.

Today I begin to share my moments with you. Today I promise to savor my moments.



Thursday, July 21, 2011

Dragonflies Lead the Way

I started this collection of stories, ideas, thoughts, ramblings, etc. on a Tuesday.  Wednesday morning I had a wretched time getting dressed and just plain getting myself together.  As I miserably headed to work, I stopped to get some breakfast.  While I sat in the drive-thru lane, grumbling in my head about my morning and the upcoming day, a dragonfly appeared and buzzed all around the front and top of my car.  I froze.  Then, as I was already amazed, a second joined him and they sat side by side on my windshield.


In case the name of my blog missed you entirely, I will explain that I love dragonflies.  The name dragonfly conjours up monstrous (dragon) tinyness (fly.)  Their double set of wings work in tandem as a set, yet each set independent of the other.  Their whole body has a luminescence of lovely colors and the translucence of their wings is incredibly fairy-like.  That something so fragile looking can be so strong and fast is one of nature's enigmas.


Let me sidetrack and tell you that I have recently ended a short bout of therapy.  I was going to say "finished," but are you ever really finished with therapy?  It was a good introspection to take now that I am turning 46...kind of a mid-life tune-up of the psyche.  Guess I'm good for another 45 years or expiration date unknown.  Oh, wait, therapy comes with no warranty - shucks!  So, therapy recently, hence the journaling habit has stuck, thus leading to starting this blog. 


Back to the crappy morning, two dragonflies on my windshield while I'm in a Krystal's drive-thru, nowhere near any kind of body of water as a dragonfly would like... Now, some people would say that it's summer and so what? It could happen.  Yeah, and it did.  But, I was running late and what if I had been on time?  No dragonflies.  What if, being late, I skipped breakfast?  No dragonflies.  What if I went to McDonald's instead of Krystal's?  No dragonflies.  Do you see what I'm getting at?  Think what you want, but those dragonflies told me this...
         *There are 2 of us, just in case you think seeing 1 is just a fluke.
         *Yes, we are a sign to you to get your mind off that "woe is me" attitutude this
           morning. We are a sign that you need to smile, like you are right now watching us, 
           and wake up to the wonder & beauty of today!
         *We are also a sign that "Of Dragonflies and Passersby" is the right journey.  We are 
           literally dragonflies that are passing by - what more of a sign do you need?


In reading this it strikes me that I may need to go back to therapy because I'm listening to dragonflies. -humor- But, Reader, you know what I mean.  We all have some type of higher power we believe in, trust in, seek...God, Buddha, Mother nature, yourself, etc.  Mine is a combination of God using nature.  I believe yesterday God used two dragonflies to get my attention.  I also believe it was His sign that this blog endeavor will help me see, share, experience more wonder and beauty in my life.


Thanks for joining me!  

No comments:

Post a Comment