Wonderful people wander into our lives. Some stay for years and some only for seconds. Each day you experience a multitude of moments that make their imprint on your life. Like a flitting dragonfly, skimming so close to the water, we traverse through our routines each day. We pay no notice to the beauty of chance instants…the instants that make us exhale, make us smile, give us joy for a brief twinkling.

Today I begin to share my moments with you. Today I promise to savor my moments.



Thursday, July 21, 2011

Mr. G. Hopper

 


Just call me The Bug Lady this week. As you can see, a grasshopper caught a ride with me on my way to work. He braced on my car hood all the way down the interstate (20 mins.) The pic was taken as we came off the ramp onto the Perkins exit. (Haha, I said "we" as in me & Mr. G. Hopper!). If you are able to enlarge the pic he shows up really well. That is a little daredevil...talk about adrenalin junkie!

As I watched him I thought, here we go again. Yesterday the dragonflies were a sign to me. Was this guy sent to tell me something? If so, what? Brace yourself? Great. However, I just got caught up admiring how beautifully green he was on my white car. His antennae were picture perfect. He was a healthy katydid specimen! But why was he riding with me this morning? And why am I suddenly inundated with bugs?

I've always heard of the custom of a grasshopper in the home is thought to be good luck. I think it's really funny, though, as locusts are short-horned grasshoppers-same family. Lord knows, locusts are not lucky to have!

So, I did what we do these days and I googled Mr. G. Hopper:
~Japanese consider it lucky. Good.
~Chinese consider it a sign of fertility. Oh no!
~Greeks considered it a sign of wealth. Way off.

I found, though, something I liked. As an animal totem, the grasshopper appeals to artists, musicians and writers.

"The grasshopper moves to its own rhythm and tune, indicating this creature is a advocate of intuition and listening to our inner voices. The grasshopper encourages us to listen to our own stirrings – those beautiful chirping lullaby’s that sing in our hearts are indications of our inner beauty and creativity. The grasshopper totem reminds us these inner musings must never be silenced – rather, they should be nurtured, and always remain as the background music to the performance of our lives.  As with most insect totems, the grasshopper keeps itself to the ground. As such, this is a grounding totem, and the grasshopper can teach us stability, patience, security, and solidarity."

In that I found my answer. Keep listening to my inner voice and dancing to my own tune. Nurturing my soul's music will lead to patience and peace.

So, today I found my animal totem - the animal totem I didn't know I was missing. Seriously though, again, the tiniest of nature's family brought to me wonder and introspection. Incredible.

My eyes are opening and so is my mind.

Peace & Patience to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment