Wonderful people wander into our lives. Some stay for years and some only for seconds. Each day you experience a multitude of moments that make their imprint on your life. Like a flitting dragonfly, skimming so close to the water, we traverse through our routines each day. We pay no notice to the beauty of chance instants…the instants that make us exhale, make us smile, give us joy for a brief twinkling.

Today I begin to share my moments with you. Today I promise to savor my moments.



Saturday, August 27, 2011

Renovation Saga, Part One - Outside

Outside – Front Yard:
So far, we have painted the exterior of the house – changed from Pukey Green (yes, I believe this must be the official color reference name) to Green Tea (a pale green-gray)
trimmed in Cascade (an ambiguous off white)
and accented in Olive Grove (dark olive green/brown.)
The American flag is back up and flying, which I considered to be a primary project.

We cut down the trees in the front yard that were killing our grass and trimmed up the under height of the remaining oak. The sun now shines upon our yard once again.

I’ve made the decision to sod the yard next spring, rather than now, as that time of year will create healthier rooting and it will be easier to develop the yard. A classmate from high school offered his knowledge in my decision and I will seek him out in the spring.

Next summer we are going to have to resurface the driveway, too. Ugh, the expense.

Our azaleas died last year and I did not replant anything this year, so our flower beds are bare. I could not decide what to plant because the exterior had not been painted and once it was we had a major plumbing repair that was going to tear up the front yard. So, there was no point in planting this year. However, I am buying mums now and filling the front beds for the fall.

Then for next spring I have decided on two Red Rocket crepe myrtles for the west end of the front bed. The beds on each side of the steps will have Autumn Sundance (dark fuchsia) Encore azaleas with Drift Roses and ornamental grasses.

Outside – Back Yard:
We have cut out all the fence line brush. (Thanks to JBR's little brother!) I am looking for someone to break up the concrete shed pad that is on a hill. It’s an eyesore and needs to go. We lost the shed in Hurricane Elvis that hit in July 2003.



I threw out the old porch swing that one of our labs had chewed the arms on. I've ordered a new one – swing, that is, not a new lab. 

Here's a pic of one like I just ordered this morning.
I have a glider of my grandmother’s, which I need to replace the arms on and re-stain. I've been waiting for the Memphis heat to subside. 

We moved the bird bath onto the patio, closer to the kitchen windows, so my mom can sit at the kitchen table and watch the birds drink & bathe. She and my grandmother, who passed in 2005, have always been bird lovers. They could tell you the type of bird, the mating & migration habits and describe its call. Mom has enjoyed watching the birds without having to go out in the Southern July heat & humidity. It’s amazing how simple changes can bring joy to people. I’m so glad we thought of moving the bath.

To me our backyard is the most special in the fall. I love that fall is coming and I love campfires. We have had campfires regularly since my son was a baby and now he orchestrates them. (Have I mentioned how proud of my kid I am?) The wood pile is stacked and abundant from last month’s front yard tree-murder. So, come on Autumn Chill and let the campfires begin!
Peace and Pre-Fall to y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment